22.4.08

Saving Brushes into Your Photoshop files

Okay this has been something I've been meaning to post for awhile now, and I mentioned doing this again in this weekends classes so I have written a note to myself and while I am here explaining the justifying text issue (see post below) I thought I would quickly run through this also (yes I do tend to waffle on I know!)

So, you've downloaded some new photoshop brushes to play with and you have them all unzipped ready to go. But what do with the little icon (abr file).

The best way to store your brushes so they are easy to get to is by putting them into the actual photoshop file dedicated to brushes.

To do this you have to firstly - copy the ABR brush file.

Then through your computer you'll need to find the following folders on your computer - (mine starts off from my C drive ... then it's Program Files -> Adobe -> Adobe Photoshop Elements 5 -> Presets -> Brushes.

When you open the Brushes folder you should see a whole heap of abr icon files (these are the brushes that photoshop elements comes with) - now just paste your new brush file into the folder.

For those of you who don't have Elements 5 but another verison, the files are the same, just that you will have to look for your Adobe Photoshop "what ever" folder above.

Lastly - when you open up photoshop elements and go to select your bushes, what you will have to do is where it says "Brushes:" You'll most likely see the words Default Brushes in a little box, click on that and you will see a list of other brushes, these are all the brushes you have installed into your photoshop elements brushes folder!! So it's then just a matter of remembering what the ABR file you copied over was called, selecting that one from the list - and off you go!!

PS. Remember the rules - new empty layer for each new brush!!

Hope that all made sense (so different trying to give instructions over the computer then in the class room!) Let me know how you all go with that!!

Peta.

No comments: